The Abortion Conversation Project announced six successful grants totaling $5,000 in its Fall 2013 round of mini-grants. “All of the awards focus on amplifying the stories of abortion and the voices of those who have experienced abortion,” noted Peg Johnston of the Abortion Conversation Project Board. The Abortion Conversation Project’s mission is “to challenge the polarization that characterizes abortion conversation, lessen the stigmatization of abortion, and promote speaking and listening with empathy, dignity, and resilience about even the most difficult aspects of abortion.”
- Cindy Cooper of Words of Choice has proposed a walking tour of Reproductive Justice in New York City with their award.
- Another NYC based award went to Project Voice, a website created by Maya Pindyck, that would promote the site and also “talk back” to anti-abortion propaganda on the streets and subways.
- Another blog about abortion, Abortion Chat will get funding to do outreach to writers to include the complexity of abortion in their writing.
- Our Bodies, Our Bikes: Women’s Health and Wellness On and Off the Bicycle is an upcoming anthology and will include a chapter on abortion as a result of an honorarium funded by an ACP grant.
- Funding was also awarded to Blue Mountain Women’s Clinic in Missoula MT to create local original theatre to tell women’s abortion stories.